- You can only recall or replace a sent email message when you and your recipients are all on
Microsoft Exchangeor Microsoft 365 and in the same organisation.
- The recipient must not have read or opened the email in order for it to be recalled.
- The permanent recall feature is only supported by the Windows version of Outlook. Mac users will have to use the Undo toggle, which gives you up to a 10-second window to edit or cancel an email after sending it.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you recall or replace a sent email in MS Outlook:
Microsoft Outlookon your computer.
- Go to the Sent Items folder.
- Open the sent message in another window by selecting or double-clicking on it.
- Then click on the
Fileoption and go to the Infotab.
- Select the option
Message Resend and Recall.
- Then, click on the Recall This Message button, and two options will be displayed on your screen.
- Select the Delete unread copies of this message option to recall the sent message.
- Choose the Delete unread copies and replace with a new message option to replace the sent message with a new message.
- Check the box next to the Tell me if recall succeeds or fails option for each recipient.
- Finally, hit the OK button.
The original message is displayed for editing when you choose to remove unread copies and replace them with new ones. When you hit Send after fixing the email, the edited message will replace the original one in the recipient’s mailbox.